Saturday, August 8, 2009

Kittens

Well, now that I can FINALLY put pictures on my computer again, I'd like to show you a couple of pictures of the litter of kittens I rescued this summer. They were living under the foundation of a house down the street, and I would go over there to feed them a couple of times a day. They were very ferile (wild) and didn't trust me very much. You could tell the mother had been someone's pet at one time because she was friendly, but VERY protective of her kittens.

When I called the landlord of the house, he said that they were going to seal the foundation that day. So, I asked him if I could try to catch them so they wouldn't die. He had his construction employee bring out some live traps and we caught all but one (the most shy of the litter). Here is a picture of all the kittens in my bathtub. They were terrified!



So, for the next 3-5 weeks, I tamed the kittens one by one, and gave them away. It wasn't until about a week after catching these that we finally caught the last kitten. She was the most beautiful, but also the most terrified of them all. It was hard work socializing her. I didn't want to give her away to anyone because I knew she would be too scared, so I kept her until she was the only one left. By the end, she would sleep on my lap in the living room and BEG to be petted. It was such a fun and rewarding experience. Mindy ended up naming her Kalena, and I brought her to Virginia with the rest of my pets. Now she adores Mindy and is loving her new life.

This is one of the bravest kittens of the litter



another one of the more adventurous ones...I actually had to dig this one out of the foundation of the house after being stuck for 2 days. MY knuckles were bloody, but I felt good to have saved its life.



This one stole my heart quite a bit. She didn't like to be held much, but she loved to be petted, and was quite the talker. It was really hard to give her away.



I do have pictures of Kalena, but they aren't accessible right now. I'll have to put them on later.

In other news, Nathaniel and I are now living in Honduras! Today we are traveling to our temporary house in Siguatepeque. It should be exciting! I will post about that later, when I have more pictures.
We love you all!

No comments: